Avenues in Motion, a community-based nonprofit organization serving northwest New Jersey, is hiring a part-time Communications Specialist to join our dynamic team! This position is considered temporary and the term is expected to last through at least March 2024, but has the potential to be extended further. Avenues in Motion delivers programs that improve the mobility, the environment and overall quality of life in northwest New Jersey.
The successful candidate will be responsible for advancing our mission in the digital space, and communicating organization activity to partners, funders, and the general public. The Communication Specialist’s main priority is to generate content for Avenues in Motion’s various social media platforms and email distributions. They will be directly responsible for developing written and visual content for Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and X/Twitter, in addition to email newsletters and website copy. In addition to these ongoing tasks, additional support for other communications activities such as press releases, advertising campaigns, and outreach/event support are anticipated from time to time.
The ideal candidate brings a self-starter mentality and strong writing ability to engage effectively with a variety of audiences. Avenues in Motion touts a friendly work environment that supports professional growth, creativity, collaboration and active lifestyles. The Communications Specialist will report directly to the Director of Program Development and will work in tandem with other staff members to ensure effective and timely communications of the organization’s many programs and activities.
This is a hybrid remote position offering a flexible work schedule. Anticipated rate for this position is $25 – $28 per hour, based upon qualifications, with an estimated 20 hours per week schedule.
- Develop social media content for all Avenues in Motion platforms, including Facebook Instagram, X/Twitter, and TikTok. Maintain the organization’s online presence and voice while engaging with followers.
- Develop longer form content for the Avenues in Motion monthly email newsletter.
- Maintain communications with other staff members to ensure programs and events receive proper attention and coverage across platforms.
- Report on activity and share data outcomes on at least a monthly basis for inclusion in grant-required reports
- Generate press releases and support the development of ad campaigns for various topics as those opportunities present themselves
- Provide assistance to other programs and at events as needed, particularly for the purposes of generating photos and videos for use on social media and in newsletters
- Work collaboratively with other staff to deliver effective programs and community engagement
- BS or BA degree in communications, writing, marketing, or related field
- Strong writing and communications skills and attention to detail
- This is a primarily remote work environment; however, we do have regular staff meetings and community events that will require in-person attendance
- Valid NJ Driver’s License and car available for travel
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience in social media content development or management
- Ability to be flexible to handle multiple priorities and work quickly to respond to trending activity where appropriate
- Analytical skills and the ability to provide insight and opportunities for improvement
- Passion for transportation safety, mobility, and environmental issues
- Ability to speak and write in both English and Spanish
- Comfort using graphic design programs such as Canva or the Adobe Creative Cloud
Interested applicants should send resume and cover letter to Laura Cerutti, Director of Program Development, at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
About Avenues in Motion:
Avenues in Motion is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that delivers programs and services that improve mobility, safety, the environment and overall quality of life in northwestern New Jersey. A transportation management association (TMA), Avenues in Motion helps travelers find alternative modes of transportation and offers programs in bicycle, pedestrian and driver safety, as well as environmental education and sustainability.