We believe that one person lost on our roadways is one too many. Our goal is to prevent crashes involving pedestrians to help achieve a goal of zero traffic deaths and serious injuries.
Avenues in Motion delivers the statewide Street Smart NJ Pedestrian Safety Campaign in northwestern New Jersey. Street Smart NJ is a public education campaign developed by the North Jersey Transportation Planning Authority that aims to raise awareness of pedestrian and motorist laws and change the behaviors that lead to pedestrian and cyclist crashes and fatalities.
Since its creation in 2013, more than 200 communities throughout the state have participated in Street Smart NJ.
Starting in 2015, Avenues in Motion has coordinated one or more Street Smart campaigns in the following local communities: Boonton, Dover, Little Falls, Madison, Morris Plains, Morristown, New Providence, Newton, Pompton Lakes, Summit, Washington (Warren County), and Wayne.
Avenues in Motion can help your community by administering surveys, conducting intersection observations, examining crash data, providing education and outreach, and assisting with campaign materials to improve safe walking and driving. If you are interested in Street Smart NJ efforts in your community, contact Laura Cerutti at (973)276-7600 or send her an email here.
Learn more about the statewide campaign at bestreetsmartnj.org.
Street Smart Final Reports
- Street Smart Dover Final Report (2022)
- Street Smart Morristown Final Report (2021)
- Street Smart Wayne Final Report (2021)
- Street Smart Dover Final Report (2021)
- Street Smart Little Falls Final Report (2021)
- Street Smart Pompton Lakes Final Report (2019)
- Street Smart Madison Final Report (2019)
- Street Smart Morristown Year III Final Report (2019)
- Street Smart Newton II Final Report (2018)
- Street Smart New Providence Final Report (2018)
- Street Smart Boonton Final Report (2017)
- Street Smart Dover Final Report (2017)
- Street Smart Morristown Year II Final Report (2017)
- Street Smart Phillipsburg Final Report (2016)
- Street Smart Summit Final Report (2016)
- Street Smart Morristown Final Report (2016)
- Street Smart Newton Final Report (2015)
- Street Smart Washington (Warren County) Final Report (2015)
Statewide campaign efforts are coordinated by the North Jersey Transportation Planning Authority (NJTPA) and is supported by federal and state funds, with additional funding/in-kind contributions from local partners, including the state’s eight Transportation Management Associations. The Street Smart NJ campaign complements, but doesn’t replace, other state and local efforts to build safer streets and sidewalks, enforce laws and train better roadway users.