Bicycle and Pedestrian Programs Coordinator
Avenues in Motion, a community-based nonprofit organization serving northwest New Jersey, is hiring a full-time Bicycle and Pedestrian Programs Coordinator to join our dynamic team! Avenues in Motion delivers programs that improve the mobility, the environment and overall quality of life in northwest New Jersey.
The successful candidate will be directly responsible for coordinating our Bike Right program, delivering bicycle training courses to bike riders of all ages and skill levels. Additionally, this position will work closely with our Safe Routes to School Coordinator to assist in the advancement of livable and safe communities. The Bicycle and Pedestrian Programs Coordinator works directly with children, parents, community members and partners to create safer road environments for all users. Whether it is facilitating Bike Rodeos, Kids Learn to Ride classes, presenting bicycle and pedestrian safety education programs or involvement in walkability studies, the candidate will have the direct responsibility to handle relationships and shows a comfort level in engaging with diverse communities within our service area. The position also requires attention to detail, the ability to work on various work programs and an interest in pedestrian and bicycle safety.
The ideal candidate is self-sufficient and brings a self-starter mentality to Avenues in Motion’s friendly work environment that supports professional growth, creativity, collaboration and active lifestyles. The Bicycle and Pedestrian Programs Coordinator will report directly to the Active Transportation Manager and will work in tandem with other staff members. This is a hybrid remote position offering a flexible work schedule with full benefits including healthcare, vision, dental, retirement contributions and paid time off. This position requires facilitating in-person weekend classes and events when necessary.
Anticipated salary for this position is $42,000 – $47,000 and is based upon qualifications.
- Conduct informal bicycle and pedestrian safety education, both in-class and community-based. Examples of Avenues in Motion’s Bike Right programs include Bike Rodeos, Learn to Ride classes, Smart Cycling classes, helmet giveaways and fittings and other community engagement activities
- Provide assistance within the Safe Routes to School program
- Customize Bike Right programming for new community partners with a focus on equity
- Assist in the development of and help facilitate community engagement opportunities, especially within overburdened communities
- Gather information and report all Avenues in Motion’s Bike Right activities on a quarterly basis
- Work collaboratively with Safe Routes to School and other Avenues in Motion staff to deliver effective programs
- BS or BA degree in education, communications, recreation or related field
- Strong communications skills and attention to detail
- Understanding of transportation safety as it relates to active forms of transportation
- This is a hybrid work environment; however, ability to work weekends is a must
- Valid NJ Driver’s License and car available for travel
- Ability to ride a bike
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience in education, particularly in speaking in front of large, mixed-aged groups of people with various backgrounds and abilities
- Ability to be flexible to handle multiple priorities
- Analytical skills and the ability to provide insight and opportunities for improvement
- Passion for pedestrian and bike safety
Interested applicants should send resume and cover letter to Emily Gates, Active Transportation Manager at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
About Avenues in Motion:
Avenues in Motion is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that delivers programs and services that improve mobility, safety, the environment and overall quality of life in northwestern New Jersey. A transportation management association (TMA), Avenues in Motion helps travelers find alternative modes of transportation and offers programs in bicycle, pedestrian and driver safety, as well as environmental education and sustainability.