THE DIVISIONAL RACES SCHEDULED FOR TUESDAY 5/17 AND FRIDAY 5/20 HAVE BEEN CANCELLED. PARTICIPATING TEACHERS SHOULD HAVE RECEIVED AN EMAIL WITH DETAILS ABOUT VIRTUAL INTERVIEWS FOR THEIR STUDENTS. FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT KRISTEN TOMASICCHIO.
What is Junior Solar Sprints?
Junior Solar Sprints is a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) competition that engages students to design, build and race solar-powered model cars. For JSS participants, materials (including solar panels), instruction and professional development workshops are provided free of charge. The program also adheres to the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
We are excited to announce this year’s JSS will be in person! Our team looks forward to seeing you there!
2022 Junior Solar Sprints
FINALS held on May 23rd at New Providence Middle School, New Providence, NJ
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN
Student video journals must be submitted by May 6th. Videos can be shared over Google Drive with Kristen Tomasicchio and must be shared as files and not just links to view. Videos will be uploaded to our public YouTube page under our Junior Solar Sprints playlist. Please email Kristen with any questions.
Students race their cars to win in the speed category and their cars are individually judged by volunteers for points in:
- Video Journals
- Upcycled Materials
Who Can Participate?
- Teams consist of up to four students.
- Students in grades 6 through 8
- Students between the ages of 11 and 14 participating in community or after-school groups
- Students who live or attend school in the Avenues in Motion service area
- Friday, May 13th at New Providence Community Pool, 1378 Springfield Ave., New Providence, NJ
- Tuesday, May 17th at Kittatinny Regional High School, 77 Halsey Rd., Newton, NJ
- Friday, May 20th at Hershfield Park, Hershfield Park Pl., Pompton Lakes, NJ
- Monday, May 23rd at New Providence Community Pool, 1378 Springfield Ave., New Providence, NJ
On race days, schools should plan to arrive at 8:30 am, with the first set of races beginning promptly at 9 am. Racing ends around noon with the entire event completed by 1 pm.
Please be prepared to bring your own lunch, water and tents/chairs if needed.
- March – Registration opens
- Friday, April 29 – Deadline to register
- Friday, May 13 – Friday, May 20: Division Races
- Monday, May 23- Final Race Day
Email our Environmental Education Manager here to add your name to our JSS educator list – you will receive our monthly JSS updates as well as additional information as deadlines get closer. Visit our Materials and Resources page for helpful tips.