This page outlines the materials provided and materials needed to construct a solar-powered vehicle. Students are encouraged to consider using materials that might be found around the house. Lists of suggested materials and/or advice on design and building techniques can also be found in the booklets linked below. Photos and videos of model cars from previous years can be found in our Photo/Video Library.
Please visit our main Junior Solar Sprints page for additional details about this year’s competition.
Kits contain: 1 set of gears, 1 motor, 1 battery holder, 2 alligator clips, 2 front wheels, 2 back wheels with rubber bands, 2 axles and paperclips.
We encourage creativity in the design process but students must use the following materials as provided by Avenues in Motion:
- The Pitsco 280 motor, 1 per car
- The Pitsco Ray Catcher Solar Panel, 1 per car
- The cars must be able to run on both solar and battery (1 AA) in case of bad weather on race day
Tips on Building
- JSS Inside Tips on Parts and Construction
- JSS Introduction on How to Build a Model Solar Car
- So You Want To Build a Model Solar Car
- JSS Teacher and Mentor Guide
Points of Contact
- Digi-key– for alligator clips only
- Pitsco | Parts and Kits